How do I get a job? Try something different! Did you know that literally straight-up asking for a job actually works?
I have successfully landed multiple jobs by literally doing just that. I have also been offered jobs just for being different through showcasing skill sets, showing strengths and abilities, and communicating value. This* is part of having a competitive edge in the job application process.
Are you like everyone else who applied online with a potentially sub-par resume and application? Or were you someone else, with a differentiator who really did something different?
If you have a position or place in mind that you really want to work for – actually try just showing up there. This comes with the expectation that you are:
– Have a polished and professional look, as this is your first impression (this goes without saying)
– Best prepared with a competitive printed resume ready for whomever you hand it off to
– A well-rehearsed and solid elevator pitch
– An engaging story as to why you are the best fit for the role
– An overall pitch that actually sells (I do not mean reading your resume – I actually mean an overall effective pitch)
– An effective Next Steps Strategy to ensure you are well-positioned for what you and the potential employer can expect next to ensure traction. Lack of this step creates no sense of urgency on both parties
All of THIS comes with proper planning. You do not just show up to the employer of your dreams with anything less than subpar. Do the above with proper planning and quality effort, and your in-person unexpected appearance could be that differentiator that actually returns the value you’re looking for – steps that lead you to an offer.
Remember – these are shark-infested waters. Competition is fierce, and you are only one of the fish in a large pool. Keep being a fish and you’ll remain a fish. Think and act like a shark, and you’ll survive.
The Best Ways To Get A Job In 2021