Applying for university can be overwhelming.
If you haven’t already started getting your application materials together – now is the time. Quality applications take time, so don’t wait until the last minute. Ensure you’re soliciting timely feedback from mentors to get as much feedback as you can on all your application materials. You should also have a solid overall strategy to ensure you’re best positioned to have multiple options.
1) Start with a clearly defined application strategy. Have it outlined to know exactly what needs to be done, when, with any relevant details
2) Have a quality resume written that showcases your most notable accomplishments, in an impactful way
2) Have a quality personal statement that compliments your law-school/business school tailored resume. This should “color in” additional relevant context that your resume does not provide. It should also tell an overall compelling story as to why you, specifically, are a good fit for their program, and how you will be a valuable contributor to the institution
3) Quality letters of recommendation (LOR) from well-respected professionals. Realize that your recommenders may request for you to draft the letters – be ready for that. Identify leverages and utilize them accordingly
4) Send effective emails to get what you need for LOR’s and any other supporting documentation. Ensure you do this timely to get back quality documents within your timeframe outlined in your Application Strategy
All of the above takes intentional and dedicated time. A competitive law school or business school applicant will use the below tips:
- Applying for University Tip #1: Solicited help when needed if any of the above could not be done with confidence
- Applying for University Tip #2: Proactively reached out for mentoring and feedback early. Be receptive to ongoing refinement and feedback throughout the process
- Applying for University Tip #3: Submitted all quality documents timely to all schools of interest. Used “cast the net wide” approach to ensure you position yourself well to have multiple options
Applying to top tier universities can be a lot of work. With a well-thought-out strategy, quality documents, and an overall compelling story, you hold a strong chance of being considered for the university of your dreams.